As a caregiving agency providing services for those in the San Francisco Bay Area, we know the impact being a caregiver for an aging parent can have on grown children. Not only do you provide care, you may worry and become stressed out. In a word, it’s easy to become exhausted when you have to juggle all of the areas of your life, including taking care of mom or dad. Are you suffering from exhaustion? If so, you may want to consider respite care for your aging loved one.
Some of the symptoms of exhaustion may include:
- Difficulty sleeping, unable to stay awake during the day
- Loss of interest in activities, hobbies or social engagement with friends
- Feelings of depression
- Finding it difficult to complete tasks or focus
- Getting angry more easily or snapping at family members
- Neglecting your health, not exercising, engaging in bad habits such as smoking or drinking alcohol
- Lack of energy when it comes to simple tasks such as doing laundry or taking a shower
- Impaired judgment or issues with your memory
These are just a few of the symptoms of exhaustion. When you’re exhausted, you can’t take care of yourself, your children, your career, your home, or any area of your life. It’s vital that caregivers who take care of an aging parent take care of themselves as well, otherwise you’re of little benefit to others and your own health will suffer – both physically and mentally.
You don’t have to feel guilty when you need a break from caring for mom or dad; in fact, it’s a must when you’re suffering from exhaustion. Even having a professional caregiver come in a day or two each week can relieve the pressure and allow you to relax and take care of yourself, run errands, and focus on other things in your life. It can make a huge difference in not only your well-being, but also your attitude toward others and your outlook on life.
We all appreciate those members of the family who give of themselves and put so much time into caring for an elderly loved one. Do yourself a favor, and take a break every now and then – it’s good for you and your entire family.
At Care Indeed we proved a wide array of in-home care services, including respite care. If you’re in San Jose, Palo Alto, or anywhere in the Bay Area, give us a call to learn more about our services, and how you and your loved one can benefit.